Grazie, Italy

Image
Well ,  just like that my time here in Italy has come to a close (for now at least). These past 7 weeks have been filled with many memories that I will never forget. My time here started out with me working at Chille de la Balanza as well as taking Italian language classes at the Florence University of the Arts. I made friends with my classmates and other students of FUA, including my roommates, and I also became part of the family at Chille de la Balanza during these first three weeks. The next month my schedule freed up quite a bit since there were no more school classes. With this extra time in my days, I was able to hang out with my roommates and explore Florence even more. Not soon after classes ended though, both of my roommates had left Italy. It was at this time that I started to leave Florence on the weekend for day trips to other places in Italy. By the end of my time in Italy, I was able to go to Venice, Naples, Milan, Rome, Siena, Bologna, San Gimignano, Pisa, and Lucca. Th

Behind the Curtain

I think that I can say that in a general sense, everyone that watches some form of show, whether that be on a screen or stage, acknowledges that aspects other than the actors themselves are important parts of the show...yet not everyone may put much deep thought into these aspects. Having grown up as a performer (as a dancer) I thought, prior to my internship here in Italy, that I had gained a pretty good amount of awareness towards the hard work and difficult decisions that went into forming all aspects of a show. I knew how different costumes and props could help transform a performer into a whole new character from a different place in time, and how lighting, sound, and effects added not just interest in the show but could also change the mood of a scene. Of course, I had gained this knowledge all just as an observing performer. However when I am not performing and have the chance to be a spectator, especially of non-dance shows, I tend to not think much, if at all, about what is going on backstage. Working at Chille de la Balanza, located just a 15 minute bus ride from the Florence city center, has offered me the chance to learn more about what goes on behind the curtain in a hands-on way and has changed the way I watch shows.

Whether it be from discussing and working out all the knots in how actors were portraying their  character or being outside under the hot, Italian sun painting and water-proofing poles to be used to build a set, I have learned more and more about what goes on behind the scenes of making a show and gained a greater appreciation for the process. What has personally taught me the most, however, was putting together my own show.

This whole process started with me, guided by my supervisor, Matteo, writing about how the show that the theatre was rehearsing at the time made me feel and what specific aspects of the show made me feel this way. Then I was told to choose one of these emotions and write a story, fictional or not, using the emotion as a base. The story I chose to tell is about my experience first flying to Moscow, Russia to attend the Bolshoi Ballet Academy. With the guidance of Matteo, I first worked on imagining how I wanted the show to look. For days we brainstormed ideas for the general setup of the stage, what actions I could do, what I would say, etc. Paper after paper was filled with sketches, diagrams and random notes we put down mid-discussions. Eventually, once we had "the skeleton" of the show, Matteo had me go through and put my story into a play script. Once this was completed, it was time to work on bringing everything to life on the stage.

This second half of the process of putting the show together was the most eye opening part for me. Matteo's way of thinking outside the box, in-depth, and creatively about all the different aspects of the play made me look at the process in a different way. While a window might have just been a window to me, he was able to transform this window into something that was a part of me and symbolized California all with just the use of different lights and movement. The way he would explain how much of an impact on the mood and story that all these different parts of the show could have made me step more out of the box and broaden my creative thinking. Now, when I watch shows, I am question why the directors chose certain lighting, or what the use, or lack of use, of props symbolized.

This is exactly what I did when I went to see the opera, La Traviata, with my roommates at the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino. While still paying attention to the storyline, I also was thinking about what the minimal props and futuristic setups symbolized. I also found it interesting how the opera also made the intermission a "show" by taking away all the wings and curtains and letting the audience see all of backstage and watch the preparation for the next act. Having had learned more about this behind the scenes, or curtain, work, I had a greater appreciation for all the people that are usually hidden backstage. This appreciation and new thought process as a spectator is of course due to what I have been learning at my internship, and for that reason I am forever grateful for Chille de la Balanza.

XOXO,
Louisa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Performing Arts Abroad

Chille de la Balanza